We Accept Lateral Transfers!
Lateral Transfers are Troopers we hire from other law enforcement agencies. Lateral transfers are always invited to apply under any Trooper job announcement and may be eligible for a higher starting pay rate. In order to be notified next time we announce for Troopers, please go to: Email Notification.
Already wearing the badge?
Come try ours on for size!
Perhaps you're already serving as a commissioned police officer for another agency. We value your skills and experience! If you think the Idaho State Police might be a good fit for you, we'd like to hear from you.
Some of our requirements are the same whether you are new to police work or a seasoned officer, but in other cases if you have law enforcement experience you can "fast track" through the hiring process and move ahead with your career much quicker. Check out the links below for more infomation.
- Written Exam
- Oral and Physical Testing
- Background Investigation
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Testing
- Medical & Drug Testing
- Basic POST Certificate or equivalent (Lateral Transfers will be expected to have this)
Pay and Benefits
- Eligible for transfer to a Specialist position such as Commercial Vehicle Safety or Investigations after one year of service with ISP
- Eligible to promote to Sergeant after three years of service with ISP
Adjusted Lateral Training Program
- Idaho POST-certified officers who lateral to ISP will not be required to attend the POST basic course, but will be required to attend the mandatory ISP Advanced Training Course (ATC). ATC is a closed campus, 12-13 week academy in Meridian Idaho.
- Officers certified in a jurisdiction other than Idaho must complete the Idaho POST Challenge process and may not be required to attend the POST basic course. They will be required to attend the 12-13 week Advanced Training Course.
- Lateral Transfers will be required to complete a Field Training Officer program that takes approximately 12 weeks.
- Full retirement is available as early as age 50 or Rule 80 (age + years of service)
- Idaho PERSI is transferable for current members only
Reciprocity requirements can be reviewed at - www.idaho-post.org
ISP Human Resource site updated:October 9, 2014