The Idaho Code is made available on the Internet by the Idaho Legislature as a public service. This Internet version of the Idaho Code may not be used for commercial purposes, nor may this database be published or repackaged for commercial sale without express written permission.
Idaho Code is accessible at the following link:
Statutory AuthorityThe Department derives its statutory authority from multiple sections of Idaho Code. During the legislative session of 2000, those code sections were amended to reflect the agency’s reorganization from the Idaho Department of Law Enforcement to the Idaho State Police. Idaho Code §67-2901 creates the Department and the position of Director, and provides for any divisions and units “deemed necessary for the administration of its duties.”
- Patrol activity and associated duties are authorized by §67-2901 (c) through (h), 67-2901A and 67-2901B
- Investigations of major crimes, drug, racketeering and liquor violations, carried out by ISP Investigations and the Alcohol Beverage Control Office, are mandated in Titles 18, 37 and 23, respectively.
- Forensic Services’ additional authority specific to drug testing of juveniles resides in §63-2552A.
- Police Services provides law enforcement support through the Bureau of Criminal Identification, created in §67-3003. Maintaining Idaho’s Sex Offender Registry and Juvenile Sex Offender Registry is mandated by Idaho Code Chapters 83 and 84. Additional duties delegated to ISP Police Services are defined in §19-5201 (public safety and security information system).
- POST Council activities are authorized in §19-5101 through 19-5117.
ISP’s proposed rules are accessible in the Idaho Administrative Bulletin at the following link:
The Administrative Rules are made available on the Internet by the Office of Administrative Rules, Idaho Department of Administration. Official copies of the Administrative Rules must be obtained through the Office of Administrative Rules.
ISP’s current rules are published and are accessible at the following link:
The following rule has been issued as a Temporary Rule effective 1/7/2021. It is published in the Bulletin Volume 21-2, February 3, 2021.
The following dockets for ISP’s temporary rules are published in the Bulletin Volume 20-11 SE, November 18, 2020.
- Brands 11-0201-2000F
- Racing 11-0400-2000F
- ILETS 11-1001-2000F
- POST 11-1101-2000F
- Alcohol Beverage Control 11-0000-2000F
- Criminal History Records 11-0000-2000F
Idaho State Police Chapter 11 IDAPA Administrative Rules include the following programs, boards, council, and commission
- Idaho State Brand Board
- Idaho State Forensics Laboratory
- Idaho State Racing Commission
- Alcohol Beverage Control
- Civil Asset Forfeiture Reporting
- Motor Vehicles
- Idaho Public Safety and Security
- Sex Offender Registry
- ILETS Board
- Idaho Peace Officer Standards and Training Council
- Commercial Vehicle Safety